The polycystic ovarian syndrome or polycystic ovarian disease is a hormonal disorder that has relatively increased among women in recent years. Imbalance in women’s hormones causes irregular menstrual cycle and makes the uterus hostile to carry a fetus. In most of the women, the ovaries enlarge and have tiny cysts all over it which is why it is called PCOS. The cysts are not harmful but cause hormonal imbalance by increasing male hormones androgens.
- Menstrual disorders: women with PCOS generally have oligomenorrhoea (decreased menstrual bleeding), amenorrhoea (lack of menstrual bleeding), extended menstrual erratic bleeding.
- Weight gain and obesity
- Recurrent miscarriages.
- Increased hair (hirsutism) in the face and body
- Alopecia and more specifically crown pattern baldness.
When not diagnosed properly, it can cause long term diabetes, heart disorders and chances of developing cancer.
Causes of PCOD/PCOS
The causes of PCOS are still unclear. There is some proof of a hereditary, cause for PCOS, although the cause has not been recognized as a particular genetic mutation. The ovaries of females with PCOS have been shown to generate excessive quantities of male hormones or androgens, leading to menstrual cycle disruptions and impaired fertility.
Though PCOS/PCOD is diagnosed early, there is no cure for it. It can only be managed using medicines. It can be controlled through homeopathy and allopathic medications. Ayurvedic medicine for a polycystic ovarian disease is also found very helpful.
PCOD/PCOS in Ayurvedic terms
According to Ayurveda, Shukra Dhatu (semen) which is made up of androgen (male) and estrogen (female) is essential to maintain reproductive health in check. Any imbalance in these hormone concentrations may result in cysts formation and infertility.
Many powerful herbs boost the immune system and strengthen the reproductive system. Some herbs also operate against other PCOS problems such as digestive disorders, weight gain, sensitivity to insulin, and mood improvement. Essentially, these herbs perform the same role as allopathic drugs to treat the various PCOS symptoms. Some of the powerful herbs are
- Shilajit has anti-inflammatory properties. It boosts levels of immunity and energy and rejuvenates the reproductive system of women. Many PCOS females experience severe bleeding, which raises the risk of iron deficiency. Shilajit increases iron levels. It also increases cardiac health.
- Usheera oil is muscle relaxing and decreases the cramping of the uterus. It has a refrigerating impact on the body. It also works to cure and cure skin disorders. Usheera also helps to relieve tiredness and digestive aids.
- Meshashringi is a powerful anti-diabetic plant. It increases the sensitivity of insulin and is essential to uterine health as well.
- Shatavari is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, folic acid, C, E and minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and iron. They act as antioxidants and safeguard the reproductive system of women. Shatavari also has anti-diabetic characteristics that enhance the sensitivity of insulin. This herb also helps to enhance fertility.
- Lodhra is an extremely efficient source of compounds called flavonol glucosides to reduce uterine disorders. Other advantages this herb has to offer are regulating ovarian hormones and enhancing fertility.
Best ayurvedic treatment for PCOS / PCOD along with the above-mentioned herbs also has Amla, cinnamon, Karavellaka, Vibhitaki, Neem, Ashoka, Nagara, Java Plum, Vrikshamla, etc. which contributes in keeping our body and reproductive system healthy.